Please note that this post may contain affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward me a small commission – at no extra cost for you.
Sometimes we get so caught up in the day-to-day tasks we have that we forget to enjoy the goodness that comes from being with kids! This happened to me often when I was teaching. It was usually something sweet or funny that helped me put things in perspective. Here are some silly experiences I had as a teacher. I hope they make you smile!
Being pregnant as an elementary school teacher is awesome:
- When I was 8 months pregnant with a very noticeable belly, a second grader saw me and asked, “Are you still pregnant?”
- I told a Kindergarten class that I had a baby in my tummy. A few minutes later, I walked past a little boy who asked, “Is there really a baby in there?” Before I could answer, he reached out, touched my belly, and exclaimed, “Yup! There is!” He seemed very pleased with himself.
- At recess, a little boy walked up and hit my tummy (luckily not very hard). “Careful!” I said. “There’s a baby in there! We have to be gentle.” He looked shocked. “Oh sorry! I thought it was a ball.”
I got a kick out of grading tests. The kids would amaze me with their brilliance and occasionally give me a really good laugh:
- One girl said that to prepare for winter, the animals gather their families and pray.
- When asked how erosion could move a rock, one boy wrote an epic scene with a boulder rolling down a hill and crushing animals before making a giant splash in the ocean!
- The kids were asked to describe how a spider catches its prey. One 2nd grader wrote that the spider “rapes” (wraps) her prey. Spelling matters kids!
Other random smiles.
- We were playing a game that involved running as fast as you can until a signal. At the signal, one boy was still running. I called out, “You’re supposed to stop running!” He called back, “I can’t because of inertia!” I have to admit, I was proud.
- One day I walked into my classroom to find a note on my desk. It had a cute drawing of an animal on it. It read, “To Mrs. T, my wife. From: Classified.”
Being with kids is a hoot! What funny experiences have you had recently?