Please note that this post may contain affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward me a small commission – at no extra cost for you.
Being a parent is wonderful. Yet so often, we get caught up in the little (or big) day-to-day challenges and forget to enjoy the moment. Unfortunately, it’s often also during these stressful times that kids misbehave more often. One thing we can do is make a deliberate effort to connect with our kids. Here are some fun ideas to strengthen your relationship. Bonus: they won’t cost you any money.
- Write sweet moments in a journal. No need to get fancy here, I bet you’re busy! A bullet list is all it takes to record these treasures.
- Put electronics away (better yet, turn them off) and give your child your full attention.
- Complete a secret act of service together. They will love having asecret between the two of you, and service naturally makes us feel good anyway.
- Bake a treat together.
- Tell them stories about your childhood.
- Let them choose what to have for dinner and make it together.
- Build a fort and watch a movie in it.
- Read together.
- Tell jokes from a joke book.
- Take a moment to think about all the reasons you love your kid. Make an effort to tell them these things over the next few days.
- Tell them the story of when they were born.
- Look at family pictures. Talking about happy memories is very bonding.
- Have them tell you the best parts of their day when you tuck them into bed.
- Celebrate a random holiday. Do a Google search for “Daily Holidays,” and you will find plenty!
- Put a note or joke in their lunchbox.
- Let them talk to you about something they really love.
- Let them help you with a project. By doing this, you show them that they contribute to the family. They will also learn great skills from you.
- Play a game of tag.
- Make a comic book. Take turns deciding what happens next.
- Go to a park you’ve never visited.
- Draw portraits of each other.
- Go on a walk.
- Make an obstacle course.
- Complete an art project together.
- Give them a hug every day.
This list only begins to scratch the surface. There are so many fun ways to show our kids we love them. There is no need to go overboard though. Just pick one (or let your kids pick one) to do each weekend! Then keep making a deliberate effort to connect with them. What are some of your favorite relationship-building activities?